Re: 99 institute

From: Laura Mitchell (Mitchell@LutherInst.org)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 09:19:44 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Laura Mitchell <Mitchell@LUTHERINST.ORG>
Subject: Re: 99 institute

To the 1999 fellows my first comment would be not to worry about the
computer technology stuff. I remember being very concerned that I was not
proficient in html, etc., and only over time did I realize that this was
okay.

I would also advise trying to take a slower pace at the Institute -- I
remember it being a whirlwind of new faces and new information, and
sometimes the pace compromised our ability to assimilate new information.

In terms of the year ahead: the most difficult task, I think, is to place
the collections into an historical context. What's wonderful about these
primary sources is that they offer an immediate connection to people and
places in the past. This connection creates a false sense of familiarity --
we think we understand what's going on in a doc. or a photo based on our own
experiences. To get behind that, though, to time travel to that place, is
the challenge. And that challenge can not be met with the AM collection
alone. I was surprised by how difficult it was to find relevant secondary
sources to create that sense of context.

I also think that it's important to connect the on-line sources with things
in the real world. We took our students to a museum to look at objects and
meet a curator. I think that enhanced and grounded the lesson plan.

Laura Mitchell