summer institute

From: Marta Brooks (marta@BIGSKY.NET)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 20:16:09 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Marta Brooks <marta@BIGSKY.NET>
Subject: summer institute

Hello Fellows: I too am nostalgic about last summer's experience, although
I remember my bum hurting after so much sitting. Thank goodness for the
Contra dancing. My two cents as I look back over the year would be to
re-iterate Alison's suggestion that teachers consider a more compact lesson
format. One of the biggest jobs I had as a teacher was to establish a
context for the materials-help students think about what they are looking
at. I remember someone last summer saying we need to find ways to SLOW
students down so they observe, ponder and consider what they see in the
collections. Also, once you focus on the exploration of the collections
you need to include what I call the SO WHAT? element for students. What
does this have to do with me? That connection is paramount for teaching
youth. Again, remind teachers that the technology is only a tool-they are
in the institute because of what they bring from the classroom-creativity
and knowledge of how to teach and engage students in a thematic flow or
confluence. The technology is the content or the WHAT you teach but
teachers understand the HOW of teaching so you are looking for ways to
improve the HOW of teaching the collections. Making those connections
between media objects is the key in forming a good lesson, I think. Again,
I want to express my thanks for a wonderful year of discovery and
exploration. I totally appreciate the help you have given me Judy and the
patience you have shown in guiding us on this wonderful journey.
 Marta Brooks