Re: New LOC look

From: Frances F. Jacobson (francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 13:49:14 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Frances F. Jacobson" <francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Re: New LOC look

Here's my two cents:

>> My problems are with the next page. Like others, I miss the list of
>>collections with descriptions and date ranges. That presentation was
>>good for quick looks and for the conference work we have done in lieu of
>>descriptive brochures.
>
>There is a page with descriptions. Click on the word descriptions at the
>top of the list.

Since you have to scroll down anyway to read through the list, I think it
would make more sense to link directly to the list-with-descriptions which,
in scroll time, isn't that much longer. Too many people are going to miss
the (relatively small typed word) link. The descriptions are just so
valuable.

Here's a naive question. Why is it that standard search engines don't pick
up individual American Memory items? I'm just curious. Is there some sort
of firewall? Or are individual items inaccessible to outside software in
the same way online catalog records are inaccessible outside the the
software they live in? I can see all the potential drawbacks -- the hit
and miss rate would be so random and unpredictable. On the other hand, it
would be nice if there were a way for American Memory records to be
retrieved by folks who don't happen to know of the collections' existence,
but need them. Does this make sense?

Frances