Re: Social Reform Lessons and PR

From: Jon Middendorf (jonm@IONET.NET)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 00:24:32 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Jon Middendorf <jonm@IONET.NET>
Subject: Re: Social Reform Lessons and PR

Just letting you all know that Kelly Middendorf has a new email address
which is which is pcwteach@msn.com. You can now send all American Memory Fellows
information to her address.

Thanks!
Jon Middendorf

At 08:59 PM 1/18/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Greetings fellow AM Fellows past and present.
>
>Here is a snapshot of my Fall-Winter activities:
>
>1. As part of a community college course on the social reform tradition in
American history, I put together several web based assignments, most of
which draw on LOC collections. The urls are below. Please use to your
hearts delight, and send me any suggestions for the future. As expected,
my students were entranced by the depth and breadth of the collections. As
time passed, we all became increasingly sophisticated in our use of the
selected sites. We were really able to, as Randy Bass urged us last
August, to slow down our studies and savor the process. At any rate, here
they are:

>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web1.htm (Cult of True Womanhood)
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web2.htm (Who were the women of Seneca Falls?)
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web3.htm (Photography and Suffrage )
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web4.htm (Ungilding the Gilded Age)
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web5.htm (Triangle Fire stuff)
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web7.htm (Best of Civil Rights web )
>
>The exercise was for searching, evaluating and citing sources from the web
( for research projects):
>http://www.howhist.com/ccv/web6.htm
>

>2. As part of my work with the American Social History Project's New Media
Classroom AND the LOC, I designed and presented two recent workshops on New
Media resources, and of course relied heavily on the LOC sites and
resources. The first presentation was for the humanities faculty at the
largest HS in Vermont (!) and can be visited at:
http://www.howhist.com/outreach/NMC/loc.htm This was mostly a stand and
deliver presentation, but I managed to spend a considerable amount of time
with the LOC collections.

>The second presentation was for Facing History and Ourselves, a national
program dedicated to Holocaust Studies, as well as the use of history in
secondary classrooms. Although my focus here was more towards the use of
electronic discussion, we did examine and discuss the use of video and
sound archives. The url for this gig is at:
http://www.howhist.com/outreach/fho.htm

>Again, please feel free to visit, loot, and plunder; please be so kind to
reference me if you do.

>3. For the future: my un-indicted co-conspirator, Arnold Pulda, and I
have submitted proposals to a few regional and national conferences on
history teaching and New Media. We'll keep everyone up to speed if we're
accepted.
>We're still working on our sites, and now moving towards the use of
several photo collections from the FSA site. Stay tuned.

>Hope all is well with everyone, and that the weather is being kind to you.
>
>Howard Lurie
>Mount Greylock Regional High School
>Williamstown, Mass.
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\program files\ionet\eudora\attach\Social Reform
Lessons and PR"