Kids Learning History Conference

From: Monica R. Edinger (edinger@DALTON.ORG)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 05:53:02 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Monica R. Edinger" <edinger@DALTON.ORG>
Subject: Kids Learning History Conference
Channel. I was rather persistent in emailing Elaine Reed, the executive
director, about how to submit a proposal. I received the following just
before the break. Anyone interested? Especially those in the DC area?
Check out their website (www.history.org/nche) for more information.
Elaine looked at the stuff on my book at the publisher's website (thus the
Native American connection) and,while I can't see that connection, I do
think we could do something worthwhile on American Memory.
Monica

Hi Monica,

We found History Firsthand this time, thanks to your help!!

All of your material looks terrific. For the Kids Learning History
Conference, our program committee is going to be meeting in mid-January.
I'll certainly bring up your material, but I was wondering if you would
be interested in considering a joint session with someone from the
American Memory Project, perhaps in showing what and how you teach about
Native Americans (Wamponoag, perhaps?) using technology, American Memory,
etc.?

We are already considering another breakout session on Immigration, but
are looking for something on Native Americans, and also wanted to have
the American Memory Project represented in some way. They did a demo for
us at our Symposium that NCHE sponsored at The Library of Congress in
March of 1996, but we have not had any of the Fellows present, nor has
anyone done anything at our conferences about how to actualy use the
resources of the Am. Mem. Project.

Last Spring, as you know, we had a session on technology from the
National Archives, but this year it seems to me that a combination of you
and an Am. Memory staffer would be very interesting.

Would you want to come up with an informal proposal for what a session
would look like? NCHE does not use a formal Call for Proposals, so
something brief, perhaps in a letter format, wuld be fine. That way I'll
have something to give the program committee. There are no guarantees, of
course, but I would promise to get back to you by the end of January.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for being persistent with me--your
material is really very interesting!

Best,
Elaine

National Council for History Education