Re: Impeachment Teaching?

From: Charlotte Bruce (canbruce@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 09:46:57 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Charlotte Bruce <canbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: Impeachment Teaching?

Monica:
   Our teachers at the high school level are talking about impeachment
in a variety of ways. The government classes are studying it as a
process and Helen and I showed the teachers how to go to the American
Memory Collection, choose Documents, and find the historical perspective
on the process using "presidents and impeachment" as keywords.
   The foreign language AP teachers are having students look in foreign
language newspapers (Spanish, French, Chinese, German) to find, read,
and analyze articles about President Clinton and the impeachment process
- observations from other countries.
   Since our school is nine miles from D.C., we get an "inside the
beltway" perspective from our newspapers. U.S. Government students are
accessing our ProQuest Direct Newspaper database for articles in
newspapers from around our country to make comparisons of points of
view. This approach has taught students more than just the facts. They
are learning about regional differences in the country and how insulated
they are here with our news.
Charlotte

<AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>;