Re: Cal Update

From: Laura Wakefield (Laurawake@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 16:48:39 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Laura Wakefield <Laurawake@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: Cal Update

In a message dated 11/7/98 8:27:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, melesan@YAHOO.COM
writes:

<< We'll pass along whatever we come across both positive and
 contructively negative. >>
Thanks, each of our insights are valuable for the group collectively, I
think. It is interesting for me to compare the after action value of my
experience with the American Memory Fellows program with my recent return from
spending two weeks teaching and living in Russia. Twenty U.S. teachers
participated in the USIA funded program which included a four day workshop
last summer in Delaware where we met with 70 Russian teachers who had been
selected to come to the U.S. for 7 weeks. Upon their return home, some of
them elected to sponsor each of us to live and work with them for two weeks in
October. It was an incredible experience that generated many emotions,
insights, surprises and questions for each of the American teachers who
participated. We are now struggling with trying to communicate with each
other upon our return because the program does not provide the wonderful
framework that American Memory has in place. I am confident that with time we
will have a web site or listserve that will be most useful but in the meantime
much of our initial ideas and insights can only be shared with much effort and
not with everyone. It has made me most thankful for the American Memory
framework because I am now learning from fellows that I have never met as they
work with the collection and their own sharing of it with others.
Laura
Laura Wakefield
97 Fellow
Neptune Middle School