Gaining some momentum in the classroom

From: doctrgus (doctrgus@MASSED.NET)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 18:25:15 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: doctrgus <doctrgus@MASSED.NET>
Subject: Gaining some momentum in the classroom

--------------564153367DDBA82676AA5764

Frances:

Thanks for the note. It is truly time, now in mid-October, to leave the
beginning-school blues
behind. Howard and I have been giving much thought to the AMF project
and the work we did in
DC, and we are getting ready to move ahead with improving it and getting
it ready for use in our
classrooms. In some of our conversations we discussed a few resources
from the LOC collection
that we could be using. Howard is teaching a survey at a nearby
community college, titled "The
Social Reform Tradition in American History," and we collaborated on
posting a couple of
assignments using LOC material for that course. To view these, go to
http://www.howhist.com, then
CCV, then assignments.

The first assignment is on "The Cult of True Womanhood," and uses the
LOC's collection of
19th-century daguerreotypes. The kernel of the idea that we developed
during the summer in DC
revolved around the experience of closely and intimately engaging
documents. We called it "Reading
photographs and looking at text." The students really enjoyed the
entire lesson: searching the
collection, finding good photographs, and then engaging the material,
just as we had hoped. You'll
notice some other related links down below; these complimented the LOC
collection very nicely.

For the second online assignment we used the LOC's
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/vfwhtml/vfwhome.html
which focuses on Votes for Women; Suffrage Pictures, 1850-1920, and
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/naw/nawshome.html , which deals with
National American Woman
Suffrage Association, 1848-1921. If you get a chance, take a look at
the lesson structure here,
and the questions we posed, and let us know what you think. This class
was a hit among the
students, too, and we were pleased with the results.

For the 3rd assignment we used the "Votes for Women, Suffrage Pictures"
site from LOC again. It
is such a rich resource; we could use this specific site over and over
again and still never exhaust its
potential for teaching and learning. This time we challenged the
students to use the site more actively
-- helping to construct (key word, there) their own learning by
searching and finding and creating
conclusions on their own. The right mouse button turned out the be the
students' favorite weapon, as
they copied and pasted images from the collection into Word. We moved
from there into
PowerPoint after a quick tutorial which is online at my site
http://www.elfrank.com/doctorgus/main,
then follow the hover button to "Tutorials." You should see the work
they produced: gorgeous
presentations, rich in content/research and impressive in the quick
mastery of the new tool of
PowerPoint. I will post some of these projects to my web site.

Howard and I have collaborated before, most especially in a week-long
workshop that we led for
NMC/ASHP in Williamstown, MA, which took place just two weeks before the
AMF institute.
We are very much on the same page as far as using the new media in the
classroom goes: we both
believe that content drives the research and the learning. We like the
tools, too, whether the
particular thing at hand is the internet, a CD-ROM such as "Who Built
America," or "Encarta," or a
presentation tool such as PowerPoint or web-page software such as
FrontPage98. No content, no
grade: this is the message we bring to our students; this is what we
evangelized with our colleagues at
the workshop. The tools, as flashy as they are, as fun to use as they
are, remain secondary. We
find that both colleagues and students accept and assimilate this
message.

Sorry I've gone on so long. I did want to show you what we've been up
to since we left DC.
Please take a look at the site if you get a chance. We're very much
open to suggestions and
improvements. As I mentioned above, the AMF lesson-plan material is
very much on our minds, as
well, and we will get cranking' on that pronto.

Arnold Pulda

[...]

<HTML>
[...]

<BR>which focuses on Votes for Women; Suffrage Pictures, 1850-1920, and
[...]

believe that <I>content</I> drives the research and the learning.
We like the tools, too, whether the particular thing at hand is the internet,
a CD-ROM such as "Who Built America," or "Encarta," or a presentation tool
such as PowerPoint or web-page software such as FrontPage98. No content,
no grade: this is the message we bring to our students; this is what we
evangelized with our colleagues at the workshop. The tools, as flashy
as they are, as fun to use as they are, remain secondary. We find
that both colleagues and students accept and assimilate this message.

Sorry I've gone on so long. I did want to show you what we've
been up to since we left DC. Please take a look at the site if you
get a chance. We're very much open to suggestions and improvements.
As I mentioned above, the AMF lesson-plan material is very much on our
minds, as well, and we will get cranking' on that pronto.
<BR>
<BR>Arnold Pulda</HTML>